Monday, February 13, 2012

Vampire Count Wraith Conversion

A couple army books back I chopped up a wraith to make a mounted Wraith to lead a unit of my Black knights. I used some extra mounted legs and the torso of the wraith to make the mounted model, while the lower half went into the bits box. Then the last army book came out and Wraiths became a unit and I needed another one to be able to field a unit. I remembered the lower half and set to work to make a new Wraith from bits. Now another army book has come out and I still haven't finished the conversion. Talk about a slow burn project.

I started with the lower half of a Wraith. I them rounded up one of the hanging torsos from the zombie sprue and a couple zombie arms. I carver the noose from around the torso head and trimmed off the bottom. Then I pinned the torso to the Wraith lower half. After it set up I glued on the zombie arms and let them cure. Then I used greenstuff to cover the torso and blend into the robe on the bottom. I added a belt around the waist and last I added the hood.

I still need to do a bit more greenstuff work to even out the shoulders. Maybe I will get it done before another Vampire Count army book comes out in four or five years.

ColKG

4 comments:

Michael Awdry said...

That's a great looking conversion; wonderful stuff.

ColKillgore said...

Thanks,

ColKG

Chris said...

I know what you mean about trying to finish stuff before new books come out. I don't always start a project right when the book comes out so I'm usually about a year late starting an army, then it takes me at least six months to decide what I want to do with the army, then about a year to collect the minis I need, and finally six months to a year to build and paint it. When you throw releasing a new edition of the core game in the middle of that I never got my Vampire Counts finished either. Oh well it's not like the undead sre going anywhere. Your guy looks good by the way.

ColKillgore said...

I have been adding to my Vampire counts a long time. I started with the skeleton army box from back in 3rd edition. The last time I fielded my Vampire army it was lead by the Lahmian Vampire Lady Etelka during a Fantasy Battle league at the old Hobbytown in Winston. I usually bring out the vampires around October and work on them a little bit every year. I might even pick up the new armybook and pu them back on the table.

ColKG