Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Spanish-American War & Beasties

 Hi Kids,  Just about time to let the rest of the world know what's been going on in the basement.  I found a mysterious Tupperware container of figs I had forgotten about 5 or 6 years ago and decided Now Was The Time to get their mangy butts outta retirement and onto the painting table.  Maybe someday they'll make it all the way to the wargame table!  It's a pleasant idea, although you never know.....  There's another 50 or 60 guys still hiding out there.  Their turn will come!
Anyway, here we have 20 Tiger Miniatures' Spanish infantry for the Spanish-American War (which I insist on calling the "SpAm War" because it amuses me).  Their skin is too dark (Ral Partha East Indian) but them's the breaks; once its done it is DONE.  Death before re-paint!  I'm just going to pretend they are all very very tan from the tropical sun. Or maybe jaundiced.  The uniform was giving me the heebee-jeebees too, its a light grey/blue corduroy type stuff for which I was hopelessly unprepared; until I found a P3 color called Underbelly Blue from Privateer.  Now I can chalk these 20 guys into the "finished" pile!
 Also lurking in the corners of the basement were a handful of prehistoric beasties, here we have a sabertooth tiger and a bear.  They've been calmly waiting in their primer coats for 3 or 4 years.  You'll have to forgive me about the glowing red eyes, its a holdover from my D&D days.  Black eyebrows, too.  Call me crazy, just don't call me late for dinner!
And finally we have two wooly mammoths/mastodons (damn if I can tell them apart).  That's a 25mm Artizan French Foreign Legionnaire for scale.  These guys have been finished for a couple years, but I saw them when I was putting the STT & Bear away and thought they needed to have their 15 seconds of fame on the internet.

Also out of the Tupperware I'm flocking 6 cape buffalo and an American Bison today, they should be ready for fame soon.  The Cape Buff is one of my favorite animals; sadly misunderstood as a simple black cow with a bad attitude, it is justly world famous among the safari crowd as one of the 5 most dangerous animals in the world!  One famous hunter described them as "They look at you like they hate you personally." and "They look at you like you own them money."  I read a story where a buff killed two fully grown lions and then walked a couple miles before bleeding to death. Gotta love 'em!  Maybe some day I'll play that safari game I've been dreaming about for 10 years.  I've already purchased "The Lion Eats Tonight", "Tooth and Claw", "Tusk 1,2,&3" "Where Heroes Dare" and a fistful of other sets.  Any suggestions?

3 comments:

DeanM said...

Spaniards look great and so do the beasties. I know it is nice to finally get around to finishing forgotten projects. Best, Dean

Chris said...

Those Spaniards could find some use as Bolivians in my War in South America. Steam Tanks and Spanish it's the perfect wargame setting.

ColKillgore said...

I think the Spaniards will serve just as well as Mexicans too.

I am up for some safari gaming or maybe some The Sword in Africa again.

ColKG